Fast Facts about Golden and Kicking Horse Country
Golden is situated in the Kootenay region of south-eastern British Columbia, and lies between two mountain ranges – the Columbia Mountains (sub ranges: Selkirk and Purcell) and the Rocky Mountains, and at the junction of two heritage rivers – the Columbia River and the Kicking Horse River.
Kicking Horse Mountain resort is located 15 minutes from Golden and is renowned for some of the best snow and powder conditions in the world.
Golden is close to 4 other world class ski resorts: Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, Revelstoke Mountain Resort and Panorama Mountain Village.
- 280 kms from Calgary International Airport
- 250 kms from Cranbrook
- 4 hours from US border
- Close to six National Parks – Banff, Glacier, Jasper, Kootenay, Mount Revelstoke and Yoho
- Town of Golden: 3,701
- Surround Rural Areas: 3,065
- Summer average high: 25°C/77°F
- Summer average low: 9°C/48°F
- Winter average high: -6°C/21°F
- Winter average low: -14°C/7°F
- Annual average: 306.3 mm or 12.1 inches of rain per year. (Less than one-quarter the rainfall of Vancouver)
Annual average snowfall:
- Town of Golden: 184 cm/72 inches
- Kicking Horse Mountain Resort Alpine Stations: 650 cm/256 inches
- Kicking Horse Mountain Resort Summit Snow Stations: 690 cm/295 inches
- Town of Golden: 800 metres/2,600 feet
- Kicking Horse Mountain Resort Base: 1,190 metres/3,900 feet
- Kicking Horse Mountain Resort Summit: 2,450 metres/8,033 feet